Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oh Look! Another Blog! How Original.


This is probably the 15th blog I've started in the ten years since I first discovered the concept of blogging. I love blogging. I'm an introvert, a writer, and I'm addicted to the internet, so blogging always seems like the optimal thing for me to waste my time doing.

The pattern goes something like this: I get an idea for the perfect blog for me, I spend a whole afternoon playing around with a blogger template, and I boldly blog away. For three or four weeks. Sometimes months. But over time, inevitably, I lose interest in writing about the topic I've chosen. Or I set an utterly ridiculous blogging schedule that I can't possibly keep up with and so ultimately abandon. Or I discover I'm not as witty as I thought I was when fumbling my way through whatever it is I'm supposed to be blogging about and get too discouraged to continue. Whatever the reason, the result is always the same: an abandoned blog floating out there in cyberspace, never to be seen or heard from again.

Except by the random Google bots that occasionally pop up on my hit counter.

So as I sit here and start this blog, you can understand why I'm not terribly optimistic that anything will come of it. I'm warning you from the outset: read at your own risk. It is entirely possible that I will get distracted by a shiny new idea and leave you hanging. Or I will become so boring and repetitive that you want to stab your computer every time a new post from me pops up in your RSS reader of choice. Or I will one day get so frustrated with myself that I delete the whole thing out of spite.

But I'm hoping to avoid all of that this time.

I'm trying something new with this blog. I'm not going to have a focus or a schedule or anything resembling a theme. I'm not going to have features or contests or regular guests. Or any kind of structure at all really. I'm going to write about whatever strikes my fancy, whenever I am inclined to do so.

I read a lot, so there will be many book reviews. There will probably be semi-regular cooking adventures because I try to cook at least one interesting new meal a week for my family and I have *issues* with recipes. Every now and then I write, and random snippets of fiction might show up here from time to time.  I'm also struggling with depression and social anxiety issues and I have a tendency to blurt out my introspective ramblings like the internet is my own personal group therapy session. I knit, very slowly and not very inventively; I may regale you with tales of frustrating knots and extraneous yarn overs. I have a one-year-old daughter I'm fairly certain I'll end up oversharing about, much to her future dismay.

Hopefully at least some of it will be entertaining.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the many reasons I adore you and our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I routinely abandon blogs? Or because I foolishly keep starting them over and over again anyway?

    ReplyDelete