Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Here We Go Again

Most of you already know this, but on the of chance that someone reading this blog doesn't, I have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome). This is a complicated condition, with lots of issues and eccentricities, but for the purposes of this blog post, it means unless I'm medically regulated, I have a very... random menstrual cycle.

Don't worry, boys, this isn't a post about getting my period.

It's actually a post about not getting my period.

You see, it all started because I was coming due for my annual exam at the ob/gyn. Regardless of being diagnosed with PCOS and so having a very random menstrual cycle, the following conversation almost always takes place:

OB/GYN: When was your last period?
Me (in this particular case, for example): August 14th
OB/GYN: Are your cycles normally this long?
Me: They vary. Sometimes, yes, they are.
OB/GYN: Is there any chance you might be pregnant?
Me: I suppose there's the theoretical possibility, yes.
OB/GYN: Have you taken a pregnancy test?
Me: No. I don't really think I'm pregnant. I just have random cycles.
OB/GYN: Let's have you take a pregnancy test.

They always make me take a pregnancy test. This is especially true at a new doctor's office, as this coming exam would be since we just moved a few months ago. I've even had general practitioners make me take them periodically. Apparently any woman not in perfect health with a menstrual cycle that runs like a Swiss watch is pregnant. Back in the day when I was having severe fertility issues and had spent years trying and failing to get pregnant, this constant testing was like being smacked with my barrenness over and over again. I used to dread going to the doctor.

I'm not so touchy about it now, but being a practical person, I'm also not really interested in paying however much ob/gyn offices end up charging for a pregnancy test when I can buy one myself at Walmart for $7.99. I'm perfectly capable of peeing on a stick without medical instruction, thank you very much. So, in order to head off this sure to be pricey (as all things at a doctor's office tend to be) test, I went to Walmart and shelled out $7.99 for an over-the-counter test.

Um... Wait... does that say "YES +"? As in "yes, I'm positive you're pregnant"?

Fine. Maybe missing a period isn't *always* because of the PCOS.

I should also note, for those of you who are curious, that my husband was not in Alabama when I took the test this time.

He was in Maryland.

He has requested that, in future, I time my pregnancy tests to coincide with the half of the week when he is actually in the same state.

By the way, did I mention that I'm pregnant!?!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Jumping up and down for you. Brian and Sweet Pea are excited for you too (Little Man isn't home tonight). Yeah, the jumping and cheering woke the baby. So worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Sorry about the waking the baby thing.

    ReplyDelete